I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

11 Mar 2013

Intelligence vs Creativity...? You decide. Indie book excerpt

Intelligence vs creativity: an excerpt from Through the Crimson Mirror.

I want to elaborate on the creativity I mentioned. Most brilliant people have a mix of both intelligence and creativity. In a broad sense, intelligence is our ability to learn. It’s the side of us, that’s able to reason and be logical. Creativity is our ability to create. It’s that part of us, which has creative thoughts. It can look at a blank piece of paper and go wild. In the above context, I’m not necessarily talking about arty creativity, like painting or sculpting (which I’ll elaborate on in “The Germans, the Japanese and the Swiss”). Rather creativity in the way they look at and solve problems. I’m not saying arty creativity is bad. I think it’s wonderful. Creativity is so much more though.

In 1905, Albert Einstein published the first of three papers that explained an interesting phenomenon. Biologist Robert Brown first discovered the phenomenon in 1827. He noticed how grains of pollen, which floated in water, danced and jiggled about. He called it Brownian motion. He couldn’t figure out why it was happening though. Albert did the same experiment and deduced that atoms existed. The pollen moved around because of atoms. Isn’t that amazing! Imagine the creative thinking needed to come to that conclusion. That’s why I say, “Most brilliant people have a mix of both intelligence and creativity.”
One of the things that helped me become more creative is reading. I asked myself a while ago “How did I start to develop creativity and this passion for words?” As I was driving one day, it hit me! (No, not a car) Reading more inspired my passion for words. Reading is a gateway to one’s imagination: a peek into a writer’s soul and wonderful new worlds. When I started reading “Harry Potter,” I felt my imagination growing. The more I read, the more my imagination grew. So read to your children. Get them to read, instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer.

I don’t know exactly why reading helps with creativity. I can only have a guess. Reading strengthens the brain. It’s like a workout. Instead of doing a bicep curl, you’re reading a paragraph. Reading also shows you that nothing’s impossible in your imagination. When you read about Harry, walking through a brick-wall to get to platform nine-and-three-quarters, it opens that magical part of your brain, which oppression and our society have kept locked away for years, in the exact same way, Harry’s aunt and uncle locked him away under the stairs. Albert Einstein once said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

If words don’t yet move you, read this quote from the movie “V for Vendetta.” V, the main character, makes a grand entrance, rescuing his leading lady, Evey, from the clutches of those who are appointed to protect her.
V: VoilĂ !
in view, a humble Vaudevillian Veteran, cast Vicariously as both Victim and Villain by the Vicissitudes of fate. This Visage, no mere Veneer of Vanity, is a Vestige of the Vox populi, now Vacant, Vanished. However, this Valorous Visitation of a bygone Vexation stands Vivified, and has Vowed to Vanquish these Venal and Virulent Vermin Vanguarding Vice and Vouchsafing the Violently Vicious and Voracious Violation of Volition!
 

The only Verdict is Vengeance—a Vendetta, held as a Votive—not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Vigilant and the Virtuous. [Chuckling]
 

Verily, this Vichyssoise of Verbiage Veers most Verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my Very good honour to meet you, and you may call me V.

That’s no more just a passage of words, as my teddy bear, Leroy, a gift from the girl, who’s my friend and travels with me, is just a ball of fluff and cotton. The alliterative use of the letter “v,” which is an uncommon letter, transformed, what is to us a common, mundane event, an introduction, into something more, something magical, something that moves us, something that makes life fun, something that wow’s us: words transmuted into art.

I believe there are four-primary reasons why some children don’t read a lot anymore. First reason is maybe nobody presents children with the idea of reading. Secondly, nobody may have taken time to show the children material that suits him or her. There’s so much variety available: fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, comics, newspapers, magazines, just to name a few. Each of these different mediums has a range of categories. Find out what your children are interested in and get them reading that. In addition, schools may frown upon the material children want to read. When I was in school, we could only do book reports on fiction books. Non-fiction is what interests me though. I would’ve enjoyed producing a book report on a book I liked, much more than a book I’d read out of coercion. Third reason is some parents are no longer reading to their children from an early age. That’s where the passion develops: at that early age. Reason number four, learning challenges (which I’ll elaborate on in Act III).


I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone.

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment